Ralph wnated to express to Jack that people are never quite what one thinks they are. Do you agree with Ralph? Why or Why not? Support with an example from something you have experienced.
Simon finds a secluded place in the high jungle where he can be alone. Why do you think he does this? What do you think this indicates about Simon?
Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
96 comments:
okay. so i got the chapters mixed up. in chapter three when Ralph is telling Jack his problems, Jack seems very disconnected and the catching of the pig seems to be his main focus. Really almost primitive. It is really reverting back to primal times when the hunt is the only thing that mattered. I think that Jack feels like he needs a sense of accomplishment and that is why he is so frustrated when at first he cannot seem to capture the pig.
i think simon likes to be alone and think. most likely becasue he is home sick and just wants to go home and have a place were he can think. the closet thing he has is this place were he can be alone.
sniperI think that simon likes to be alone and have time to think
Yes I agree with Ralph. Because some people are really shy and then when they are at home or with people that they know then they are really loud.
I think Simon is more of an outcast or maybe the shy type. SOme people just like to think things over by themselves in a secluded place.
I think that simon likes to be alone and have time to think
Yes i agree with ralph because people can be quite around some people and then around other people they can be outspoken. I used to be shy around a lot of people and only be able to talk to my family.
2. He doesnt want all the stress from other people arguing. Simon likes time to himself and needs time to clear his mind.
I agree with Ralph because during the meetings everyone has ideas how to make life on the island better and everyone acts like they're willing to work but once it comes down to actually doing it nobody wants to help out. And I think Simon wants to be alone because he wants to be away from the other people and their arguing.
I think that Jack was obsessed with killing the pig because he had to prove to everyone that he could be just a good as leader as Ralph.
I agree with Ralph because people act differently in different situations or with other people. I have some friends who act one way when they are just with me me but act completely different when they are ina large group of people.
In chapter three. Jack and Ralph aren't getting along very well. They don't like how the little boys are acting. They both are stressed out because they want so much to get done. Jack believes hunting is what needs getting done, and Ralph believe the huts need to be built as soon as possible. I think they both feel bad, because they know they are leaders and they are the ones taking the responsibilties of the all the other boys.
I suppose that it can depend on the person. If they are quite and keep to themselves then they could have many things that you dont know about them.
Simon is kind of a loner i would say. I think he doesnt really need to be with people to be happy and probably prefers nature to people.
I think that almost everyone acts one way around some people and then another with a different group of people. I do that with my friends. For one group of them I'm really loud, obnoxious and immature but with my older friends, I'm more calm, controlled and mature so that they don't get annoyed with me.
Well everyone needs alone time. So I don't blame simon for finding a place to be alone for a while. I think this says that Simon is a pretty good leader but he just needed a break and to be alone for while.
I think that people might be different because you don't really know them like you think. So yes I agree that people might be different. In one of my experiences I had a friend that I thought I knew but then in High School he changed into a totally different person than i thought he was.
1. I agree with Ralph because you might just judge a person by what they seem and what they tell you but, you will never know if they are the same when they are with other people. Like when a person is two-face, or a person that tells you one thing about someone else and then another thing about the same person to a different person. So i agree with Ralph that people are never quite what one thinks they are.
2. I think Simon needs his time alone to think. Like when a person writes a poem or a song they tend to like to be alone when they do it. So they can concentrate on their thoughts. I think this indicates that Simon is a person that can be a leader but, he needs his time to think about things.
I agree with Ralph because I think when humans meet other people we put on this act of "kindness" that stops us from acting like our true selfs. Never the less, everyone cant put up that front forever. Sooner or later when people get close enough to each other your "true" self shows. I have experienced this first hand, when i went on a trip with my youth group. After being crammed together for two weeks in harsh conditions, i found out things that showed about peoples personality's that i never saw or knew before.
I agree with Ralph because there are some people who are nice to certain people at certain times when no one is around but when people are around they may completely ignore that person. The person may think that the person is really nice when there together but when other people are around then they may be a snot.
Simon finds a spot by himself becasue he may be independent and doesn't like to be with people all the time. Or he may want a space where he can be alone, away from all the hecticness going around, where he can think and have some Simon time
I do agree with ralph. people can let you down alot and they seem good at first but most of them will let you down and throw you away. one example is when your a small child and you see your idol doing something bad then at that moment you Realize that your idol isnt what hes crecked up to be.
I think simon does this because it must be hard being there on that island alone. if i was simon i would want to get away from everything and think. i think simons has some emotional problems from being on that island and being far away from human civilization.
I know if I was in that situation I too would need a place where I could be alone and just have silence so I could think and help plan for things and think of other things that might help the group. Not to mention so I could calm my nerves and keep myself composed.
I think Simon does this because he doesn't want to go crazy. The other kids are fighting about everything and he just doesn't want to fight about everything and he wants to think about surviving in the jungle. I think that this tells that Simon is more of a loner or maybe he's just really shy.
I think simon liked going off by himself in a place where no one else was because he can have alone time away from everuone else to think and listin to his surroundings. I think is shows that Simon trusts more in himself, then putting his trust in other people that could let him down.
Tom H says: I think that Nich is right. Simon is afraid of fighting and doesn't want to get in trouble with all of the other kids. He doesn't seem like the type that would choose alot of enemies, especially with Ralph or Jack.
i think that simon is someone who sometimes just needs a little time to himself. he sometimes needs space to think and and get away from the rest of the group. i know that i am the same way. if i don't have some time or space to myself i get irritable and crabby!
Simon goes off by himself so he can get a chance to get away from everyone, he is probably getting sick of seeing the same people on the island all the time.... this shows that simon is very independent and likes to have some "alone time" i also think he does this so he can have something of his own, it is his special place and he doesent have to share it
I think Simon went off on his own because he doesn't like the fighting and he cannont handle it. Getting away to a place where he was all alone probably was soothing to him. If it were me i would probably go somewhere alone also. it would calm me down so all the frustration would just go away.
Yes, I agree with Ralph that people are sometimes not what you think they are. First off, some people act differently around certain people and just try to get to people's good side. Then when those same people get around with their "good" friends they will act totally different. That's why I believe people are never quite what you think they are.
I think Simon is afraid of being left on an island without and adults. He may feel scared and just wants some time to sit and think about everything going on around him.
People are not always what they seem. Ralph explains this. The little children on the island do not understand a work ethic or working as a group. they get distracted and tired and hungry. they will often work for a bit and then lose concentration and just kind of wander off. they think that if the leave the job will get done or someone else will do it for them. they are young and don't know any better!
Shannon:
I think that Simon isn't afraid. I think that he is more mature and he has a better understanding of himself. Simon knows he doesn't like conflict. By going out into nature, he knows he will be more relaxed and at ease then in the tenison of the fighting. He wouldnt be able to work in threw the fighting, so he just would rather walk away from it so he can be alone with his thoughts, and out of the stress.
Kaitlynn says:
I think that if Ralph would give the children one important job to do then they would do it. They would finish the job also because they would feel that their job was vital to their survival. If they are the only was doing the specific job then they will want to do it to their best abilities.
Also, they will feel important to the camp and to the other kids.
People are not what they always seem to be. one day they could be having a good day and the next could be a bad day. simon likes to think it all through before doing it. which i think is the best way of doing something.
I think that simon has his own way of dealing with his stress. There are very few things in life that can calm us completely. I think that by going to the jungle, he is actually "escaping" the island.
I think the reason the Simon finds a secluded place in the jungle is so that he can be away from all the craziness that’s happening between the other kids on the island. I think that this action shows that Simon is smarter than what the other kids take him for. He’s not shy, per say but more of a loner. Also, he is seeking solitude and is more calm then the rest of the kids for some unknown reason.
~+~
Kaitlynn says:
I agree.
Everyone needs to be alone sometimes but Simon is a more independent person so he needs to be alone more often so he can relax and feel calm.
The reason that i think that simon lefted is that everyone needs to have time away from everybody else.
Shannon:
I agree with Bob. I think that Simon know that he has stress and he know how to cope with it.Instead of arguing he would rather be alone by himself in the nature.
I think that Jack is not a very good hunter bacause everytime he sees a pig he tries to kill it but not very hard so he misses and then goes back to ralph and kind of makes up excuses so ralph thinks he is doing something.
I agree with Emily. I think Jack is reverting back to his primitive ways by only thinking of the hunt. He thinks that the meat is the only important thing where as Ralph is trying to build shelters for everyone. I think the group is going to split into two different "tribes" because everyone thinks other things are important. I kind of feel really bad for Simon, Ralph, and Jack because they are the only ones who are doing anything. I know some of the kids are kind of little but if they expect to survive they're going to have to help build a community.
Kaitlynn says:
I dont think Simon is stressed.
I just think that he needs time to be alone. I also think that he would rather be alone and exploring than being around the others.
I think simon finds a secluded place because he just needs to get away. He prolly does this because everyone is so close there and he just needed some time to himself. I think alot of people actually need to do this because it could actually relieve stress.
i think that he goes off alone so that he might have some time to himself, everyone needs a place that is their personal area. or perhaps he is into meditation. its possible.
I think that Simon is a very emotionally soft and he needs to be alone sometimes to think things threw and just figure out how heis feeling.
Kaitlynn says:
I think that Jack wants control of the "tribe". and he will do anything in his power to get it.
Jack wants to prove himself a man by killing a pig. He is desperate to get the meat as he feels it could also turn him into a leader. in the end his prey eluded him and that only furthered his desire to taste the meat.
-Marcus
Shannon:
I think that Jack want scontroll of any situation he can grasp. Even if he isn't the leader, he wants to be leader of hunting. I see a connection between his lust for hunting and leadership. I think that having controll or trying to get controll of an animal gives him great pleasure. Since Jack isn't in control of his fate as of yet he wants control of anything he can mange to take controll of.
sora said: I think that almost everyone acts one way around some people and then another with a different group of people. I do that with my friends. For one group of them I'm really loud, obnoxious and immature but with my older friends, I'm more calm, controlled and mature so that they don't get annoyed with me.
i think that this is true... and i bet i know which group I'm in.
simon wonders off because he doesn't want to talk to people because he is mad that everyone puts everything on him.
I think that Jack is hurt that he didn't get picked for the leader so he is trying to prove to everyone that he is better than Ralph.
I totally agree with sora. It's like she took the words right out of my mouth! Ralph is trying to tell Jack his problems but Jack is preoccupied with getting meat for the group buy killing a pig. Jack needs a pick-me-up by capturing a pig in order to get his sense of self back on track.(sense of self. ha!ha! health talk)
Yes, I agree with Ralph because sometimes people are shy in public but really obnoxious at home. Also, sometimes people act differently around certain people so they feel accepted.
I think Simon finds a secluded place because sometimes you just need to be alone and be able to think about everything.
I don't think the question is correct. Ralph is just saying that the littleuns are to used to discipline as motivation. THey are used to things being done without them helping.
I think simon just likes to be alone because he can think more clearly when he doesn't have any distractions around him.
I agree with Ralph because everyone has a secret about them that no one else knows. Also, everyone changes how they talk or act depending on the circumstance they have to face.
Simon probably finds his own place so he can get away from all of the bickering and chaos that surrounds the huge group of boys. This shows that Simon is more of an independent person and doesn't mind going off on his own every once in a while.
I agree with Ralph that people are never exactly who we think they are. Every person has something that is too personal to share with others. That thing often affects who the person is.
Simon needs a place where he can be free from the pressures of the other boys. It shows that he is a private person. It also shows that he is probably putting on an act for the other boys.
I think that it was clear from the very beginning that Simon is a slightly more reserved kid than the rest and clearly feels comfortable being alone, where he most likely can mull over thoughts and whatnot. I would also have to agree with Ralph, nobody is completely what they seem. They only appear to be who they are depending on the context. A person with their friends can be a very different person that when they are with their parents for instance. There are very few "true" people, and there is no way to weed out the true from the false, as it is impossible to see through people.
-greg p.
Because someone does't act the same with everyone does not make this person "untrue", it's just the nature of things for that to happen. It's those who try to act different to meet some end that are untrue.
I think that killing the pig for Jack is an ego trip because he wants to show to the boys how he is stronger, faster, smarter than something else. For Ralph i think he just needs something good to happen. I think simon is overwhelmed with what has happened so he needs a place to think.
many times we act the way we do because of our surroundings so i agree with Ralph
Simion goes off to just maybe relax. Who would honestly be calm while your stranded on an island. I think he is overwhelmed by the situation he jst needs to chill every once and a while.
-Sam V.
I agree with ralph when he says that people are never quite who one thinks they are. When Ralph thought he knew Jack well, he learned a different side of him that turned him off. Jack seemed like he didnt have his priorities straight and he just wanted to prove he was capable of killing the pig. People, including me, sometimes act a certain way with some people, and act a totally different way with others.
Ralph is absolutly right. These boys have never met each other before the crash, so ho wdo they know that they are telling the truth? You could tell someone a total lie and nobody would know. So, these boys could be someone totally different.
Molly, I am going to have to disagree. Simon should not have gone into the forest by himself like that. What if the group needed him? He wouldn't be there to help. All this talk of the beastie as well. If there is a beastie, he could've gotten killed.
Simon probably just finds a secluded place because he needs some alone time. Sometimes having a place that you can go to, that nobody else knows about, makes you feel peaceful and special. The more I read about Simon, although he doesnt really speak in book so far, he just has this sencerity about him that makes his character likeable. Like when he helps the younguns get the fruit that they cant reach, and in the next chapter when he gives his meat to piggy. i think the author might be trying to portray his character as being prophet-like possibly?
easton says
simon is a really laid back person and most of the time he likes to be alone and then he feels more comfortable
i think simon just wants to be alone and think. i'm sure eh's really home sick and probabyl is just going to detatch himself from the rest of the group.
Sammy,
Simon went in to the woods to get away from the group. He chose to seclude himself that in itself shows he’s not afraid.
With how the rest of the group treats Simon I doubt they would have asked or relied on him for any help. Also when u read chapter five Simon states that he is unsure that there is even a beastie.
~+~
Molly, strength comes from numbers. So if they had a big job to do, they would've needed his help reguardless the way they treat him. Simon only says that he is unsure that there even is a beastie. That is an opinion. They don't know for a fact that there is no beastie. For all they know the beastie could be stalking them right now, waiting for a time to strike.
Simon goes off on his own after working in the heat of the day. I think he goes to his secret hiding place in the jungle because he is doing most of the work and needs time to relax and let the stress flow out. Perhaps he is distancing himself from the chaos of the others.
I think Ralph is right in communicating to Ralph that people aren't quite what they first seem.
Simon is a quiet person; he's probably got a lot of thoughts. It's easier to think and relax when you're alone and no one's pestering you to speak.
Simon is the best.
He seems to be the deepest. He enjoys nature, he is very caring and wants to help Ralph, and is just a super kid! :D
Answering Ralphs question, I think it depends on whether the person has a open personality or whether the person is shy.
I fully concur with Ralph, people are rarely ever what they seem. I had a friend over the summer who was always outgoing seeming and confident but after getting to know her longer I realized talking in front of people made her nervous aznd she was just loud to compensate for her fears.
Simon finds a place to be alone so he can think and have some time to sort everything out. Whenever life gets hectic I retreat to my room because it's "my space" and I feel comfortable there. Simon needed somewhere to feel safe and think with out being judged.
I really enjoyed Simon and thought he was the sanest of the group.
Simon shows maturity by being able to be alone.
I agree with you Caitlin. Eveyone has a place that they feel more comfortable and safe in. Simon finds peace in his secluded forest spot.
I am very impressed with Simon at his ability to go on his own to get some time to himself. If i was him there would be no way i could do that because i would be to scared that i would get lost. I'm still like that so when i read that he did this at the age that he is i was very impressed.
I think that Simon needs some time alone. Some people like being alone once in awhile or maybe thats just what they are used to. Like for families that have an only child i know you get used to just doing things by yourself and simon may be an only child and being alone is what he is used to and finds comfort in. Simon may also be facing feelings like being sad or missing his family. so by being alone he is able to think easier and if other children are sad about being away from his parents then being secluded is a way to escape that.
Alex is right independence is a sign of maturity.
Ralph is correct when he says that people aren't always what they seem, because people act on their surroundings. Sometimes people want to fit in, where other imes they want to stand out. People start changing themselves to be who they may want to be, instead of who they are, and pretty soon, they themselves can't even see the differentce.
The fact that Simon wants to get away from everybody, shows that his maturity leads him to want to figure things out by himself. Simon is the type of person who perfers to think as himself, on his own.
Good point Jon, Simon's quite brave, almost to a fool hardy point.
I agree with Ralph because i don't think there is anyone who doesn't have a secret that no one knows about, and depending on who you are with can depend on what you say.
I think Simon did it to get away from everyone. He may not be a people person and he may like to be independent.
We understand that strength comes from numbers, but I don’t think that the kids in the book understand. Simon is usually pushed into the background or left out, I doubt that the kids would be like ‘Let’s get that weird kid Simon to help us’. I think that they would just do what they had to do without him and just move on.
~+~
Molly, when you're in that kind of situation i don't think the kids would care if he's wierd or not. Everey able bodied person should help out in some way or another and I think the Ralph would agree with that. He would have Simon help if they really needed him.
Sammy, the problem is they do care about his ‘weirdness’. The kids are judging Simon unfairly, no one can really define normalcy because the state of ‘normal’ varies from person to person. Ralph would agree with you, except that he follows the crowd with most of his opinions about Simon. Because of this they exclude Simon from a lot of thing, even when they should be going to him for help or advice.
Mollster, SOME things Ralph agrees on with the group not ALL the things. Ralph wants to get theyre houses and food up to par and he will need everyone. That includes Simon. Regardless of his weirdness, Ralph will make Simon help for better or for worse.
The only problem is he listens and agrees with the group about Simons ‘battyness’. I think that Simon would help the group if he was around when they needed help. But their not going to look for him if they need help they’ll just do it themselves. They don’t really notice when he goes missing, and they don’t really pay attention to him when he’s there.
~+~
I agree with Ralph, I think he may just be trying to open Jack's mind to others. It seems as if Jack is slightly selfrightous and I am just put off by that because all he cares about is the pig and his hunters. While I doubt that is the case, it also proves that people are not always what they seem, in the aspect that Jack doesnt want to let on that hes afraid for what maybe happening and just lives in his hunting world.
Simon gets fed up with Ralph and Jack and the undeniable tension between the two so he finds a secluded place. Simon seems like a very kind of heart boy and is just waiting to grow up. In some aspects, I believe him to be one of the most mature. Since he's able to walk away from issues even when they make his blood boil.
I agree, cause so many people are fake. Alot of them do stuff to just be cool with someone that is older.
Yes i agree with Ralph because somebody is not always what you think of them as. Until you really get to know them and talk to them for a period of time. you cant just look at somebody and judge them
I agree with Ralph. Until you get to know someone you dont know how a person is. Your first impression of someone could be totally wrong. Also in certain situations people change their personality. They could be shy and quiet around people they dont know very well and loud and obnoxious around their friends. I think Simon did that to get away from all the drama that was going on with the other boys on the island.
Brendan 1-2
Post a Comment